For the two days of the Summit Zach and I had to get the kids up and out the door before 6:30 for the 45 minute drive to El Paso. We were meeting a church in El Paso that also opened up their nursery to watch our kids. This was a televised conference, with the multiple speakers being in Chicago and sending live feed out to all the other locations. All of these factors joined together to make a "I don't know about this" moment in my mind. But can you believe it, with all my skepticism, I actually learned some things!?
The leaders included Bill Hybels, Condoleezza Rice, Jim Collins, Craig Groeschel, Patrick Lencioni, and John Ortberg, among others. There was so much that these great leaders said that I just wanted to throw my hands up in the air and yell, "YES! That makes so much sense!" or "YES! Where's so-in-so, so that they could be hearing this too!" (I know, shame on me.) So, I'm going to share some things I loved from this conference:
1. "A leaders most valuable asset is their energy and ability to energize." - Bill Hybels
2. "Don't talk about going 'there' until you explain why you can't stay 'here'" - Bill Hybels
3. "Remember that it is a privilege to be a leader." - Bill Hybels (personal note, I forget this sometimes and need to remember how blessed I am to be in a position to lead others.)
4. "The greatest quality of a leader is their irrepressible optimism." - Condoleezza Rice
5. "Out of struggle comes victory, after Friday comes Sunday." - Condoleezza Rice
6. "The x-factor of great leadership is humility combined with great will." - Jim Collins
7. "Mediocrity comes from chronic inconsistency." - Jim Collins
8. "Don't fear or resent the next generation, believe in them." - Craig Groeschel
9. "If you're not dead, you're not done." - Craig Groeschel
10. "People act honorable when they have been shown honor and respect." - Craig Groeschel
11. "Being all things to all people means you are nothing to everyone." - Patrick Lencioni
12. "The discoverer of the role of forgiveness in human affairs was Jesus Christ." - John Ortberg
13. "Everyone benefits when a leader gets better." - Bill Hybels
14. "Jesus will not allow HIS church to be easily destroyed." - Bill Hybels
There is a lot more that I took away than these little snippets. I came away with some reading, with inspiration, and with a drive to see how much more I can do, not just in regards to the Youth group, but with the church universal.
As the Summit was coming to a close, the volunteers passed out a card with a prayer written on it. The idea was to enter into a covenant with someone else to pray this prayer every morning. The Prayer is added below.
Click on photo to enlarge it.
What are you doing with your talents and energy? Your creativity and resources? Together, we can change the world.